Selasa, 10 Januari 2012

2012 Hiatus


I am on hiatus for 2012, exploring the world through means other than words.

I will, though, continue my occasional posts on something close to my heart - the Japanese tsunami and nuclear disaster.

Besides the ongoing release at the Fukushima 1 plant, there is now potential release from Fukushima 2 in 2012 but, as always, we simply do not have the facts. This is not the worst of it.

2012 will be punctuated by an increase in imported food and products as the Japanese government and business community dump their contaminated items on foreign markets, and it will also be the year in which the reality of the tsunami begins to wash ashore in North America, creating what will become one of the most devastating environmental disasters in history.

While I spend this next year finding joy in the little and very real things in life, I leave you with two warnings:

  • Do not make trophies out of potentially toxic Japanese debris.
  • Buy local. Although the planet is contaminated to lesser or greater degrees by Fukushima fallout, you do have the power to control you own exposure over time.

And, I leave you with an iota of hope.

Someone told me that we are here, now, because we chose to be the midwives of a new era.

Let's at least suspend disbelief and hope her analysis is correct.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...